Paulette Meldrum – Contrast – Colour Play
My design for Contrast was fairly quick, after making the decision to use colour to achieve the result I was after. This decision was in itself a contrast to the design work time needed on many of my previous quilts!
After choosing an analogous scheme of red to red/orange I cut 1” strips from most of the fabrics in my stash within the colour range selected, using the placement of darks and lights to achieve contrast in the background piece. I used the stitch and flip method, starting in the middle, and sewing onto the sandwich of batting and backing on which I had marked the centre. This eliminated the need to quilt once the piecing was finished. In a number of places I used crystalline organza over the strips to achieve a slightly brighter colour.
To give more contrast, green leaves were attached with fusible web, and outline stitched. The leaves were then overlaid with green organza, and secured with more stitching. The organza was very carefully cut back with a very fine soldering iron. Gold rayon thread was used for the veins on the leaves and the stem.
The backing on this quilt is a New Zealand feature fabric.
Close up View: