Joan Brailsford – Series #5 – Blackberry
For the final piece in this series, I wanted to include design elements and surface techniques that I’ve used in the previous pieces, to give the feeling of summarising the series. However I also wanted to include some new elements so that the piece didn’t feel like a copy.
I opted to use Honesty fronds from my first piece, but this time made silk paper for the majority of the seed heads, with a few transfer dyed sheer fabric additions. I made another string block, and stamped cow parsley seed heads in the background. For the blackberry patch I dyed and painted paper shapes for the leaves, created blackberries using beads and wire, and used the same wire for the stems. I used dandelion seeds scattered through the piece, to give the impression of having just blown away from a seed head. Finally I added some fronds of my ever-present sweet cicely heads in the background.
The piece is completely hand-stitched, but I tried to keep to a fairly limited colour palette, but one which is the reverse of my first series piece. I feel that this gives a book-end effect to the whole series.
Close up views:
Quilt Series – Seed Heads