Eke Krug – Series – Song about a rose – Complementary
This is the third piece in a series of three, the first one was Black and White, the second Abstract and this third one is Complementary. My subject is a rose, the colours green and red in a wide range.
To reach the same results and size of the rose, I copied my first piece, by laying a piece of architectural paper on top of it and following, as good as possible, the big black lines in it. Now that I have my pattern ready, I have to decide in which way to start. The green outside I want to create, can wait till the end of the process. First of all I have to make the rose, in the same position as in the first quilt. It stands a little out of the center of the quilt, to the top of it. This is due to a wrong cutout I made in my first quilt, using my brand new inches ruler. It seems best to start with the outer petals of the rose, I write numbers on the pieces and signs on the borderlines, so that it is easy to put the fabrics in the right place.
The second quilt of the series got it’s colours with organza fabric, which I planed to use in this one also. But soon I realized I didn’t have enough differences in colour to reach my goal. So other fabric slipped in, hand-dyed silk and cotton and some commercial fabric too, and for the greens I used no organza at all.
After that all the pieces, red and green, were in place, I start thread-sketching with black thread, to get the same impression as the first quilt in black and white. And the rest of the piece was free quilted, in colour, ending with black.
Handdyed cottons and silk, commercial cotton, synthetic organza, batting, all kinds of machine threads, vliesofix
Patternmaking, threadsketching, free motion quilting
The whole process of making is to see on Kleurdesign
Other pieces in the series: