Paulette Meldrum – Monoprint – Rippling Ribbons
After a number of trial runs using a tile as a printing plate, without a satisfactory result, I decided to use the shiny side of freezer paper as my “plate”. I chose turquoise, orange and bronze fabric paints and used two brayers of a different size to manipulate the paint until I had a pleasing outcome. The yellow fabric was smoothed over the top using another brayer. I added depth to the piece with machine trapunto on the curving yellow lines in the middle of the design. The centre was then lightly quilted before adding the borders, a full layer of batting and the backing fabric which was one of my discarded monoprints. The borders were quilted and additional quilting was added in the central area.
Close up View: